If you are one who has an extreme fear of the dental office, we are here to help you feel better and more comfortable in the dental chair! Dental fear and anxiety are very common, but we want to make sure you feel calm and relaxed when you come into our office. In order to do so, we recommend that you do the following:
1. Bring a close friend or relative to the office with you. It is best if they are someone you can trust who does not have a fear of the dental office. This way, you will have someone you know and love right by your side while you receive your treatment.
2. Bring some music with you so you can listen to your favorite tunes while you are working with our dentist. You can also distract yourself by watching television or having your friend or relative read a story to you. If you do these things, you will most likely focus on the music, TV, or story rather than your dentist.
3. Try relaxation techniques. If you focus on having controlled breathing throughout your appointment, your heartbeat will slow and you will feel more relaxed.
4. Talk to your dentist about a key word or signal. If you use a key word or signal that means “stop,” like raising your hand or making a unique sound, your dentist will know when you feel uncomfortable and when to give you the break you need.
5. You can also talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry is a beneficial and relaxing technique that is used to help patients calm down. In the dental world today, there are many sedatives available, including nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas), oral sedation, and IV sedation. However, only qualified dentists will provide IV sedation.
To find out additional ways to make your appointment more relaxing and successful, call our office today. We are happy to help you feel more comfortable in the hands of our dentist!