If you want to maintain a healthy, strong, and functional smile, preventing tooth decay is your best option. Tooth decay is a painful and irritating thing that eats away at your smile and destroys your teeth. It usually occurs if you eat or drink sugary foods and drinks, avoid your dental checkups, or keep from brushing your teeth. But, if you do the following things, there is a high chance that you will be able to avoid tooth decay and maintain a healthy smile:
• Brush your teeth every morning and every night as well as after each meal. While you do so, use fluoride toothpaste that not only cleans your smile, but also strengthens it. If you cannot brush your teeth after each meal, rinse your mouth with water.
• Rinse your mouth with bacteria-killing or fluoride mouthwash at least once a day. This will nourish and strengthen your smile and give you the best chance at fighting tooth decay.
• Get a professional dental cleaning every six months. These appointments give your dentist and dental hygienist the chance to deeply clean your smile, examine your entire oral cavity, and provide fluoride treatments. This not only prevents tooth decay, but it also prevents other problems, like gum disease.
• Consider getting a dental sealant or two. Dental sealants are plastic coatings that cover the entire surface of your teeth and shield them from decay, bacteria, and infection.
• Watch what you eat. If you do your best to eat and drink healthy foods and drinks that are good for your teeth, like milk, water, fruit, vegetables, and meat, then your smile will have a good chance at preventing decay. If you eat and drink sugary foods and drinks, like soda, candies, and cookies, then make sure you brush your teeth after you do.
To learn more ways to prevent tooth decay, call our office now and talk to a member of our team. We care for you and your smile, and we are more than happy to help you have the best oral health possible by helping you prevent tooth decay.