We encourage parents to bring in their children for their first dental visit by the age of 1 or 6 months after the emergence of their first tooth. We offer compassionate, patient-focused pediatric dentistry in Boise, ID that is tailored to your child’s oral health needs.
As a team-oriented dental practice, we focus on building long-lasting, healthy relationships between us and your child. We believe building relationships help foster a safe, welcoming environment for your children to receive the dental care they need.
Going to the Dentist Early in Life Creates a Lifetime of Good Oral Hygiene Habits
Establishing excellent oral health habits at a young age can encourage your children to make more informed decisions about their oral health in the future. We focus on patient education and disease prevention in hopes that your children understand the importance of maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Enabling your children with the tools they need to improve their oral health can help set them up for long-term oral health success.
Dr. Dennis Garpetti and Dr. Brock Hyder are highly trained family dentists in Boise, ID. During your child’s first visit, our team of dentist will evaluate your child teeth, gums, and bite. Early intervention and tracking can help us prevent complex dental issues before they develop and recommend an appropriate treatment to restore health to your child’s smile.
We work diligently to create a safe, comfortable environment to reduce any fear or anxiety your child may feel during their visit. We believe patient education and compassionate care are key to helping your child feel comfortable during their visit.
How To Prevent Cavities in Children
Dental cavities in children, also called a pediatric dental caries, are a very common problem we see. Children often have issues taking good care of their teeth and they also consume an excess amount of sugar and starches. When combined, those factors can lead to cavities. A cavity is a permanent hole in the tooth that develops from tooth decay. Tooth decay is a result of excess plaque that builds up on the teeth. Plaque is filled with bacteria and acid that will break down the outer layer of the tooth if it is not removed regularly and properly.
The good news is that cavities are preventable. When you teach your child how to care for their teeth properly and help them along the way, you stop tooth decay from developing. Here are some things you can do to prevent your child from getting cavities:
- Oral Hygiene: Teaching your child the proper way to brush and floss is very important. Furthermore, as they age, you will need to adjust their habits to more age appropriate habits until they are able to independently take care of their teeth properly. Supervise them until you are confident they are doing it effectively.
- Dietary Choices: Consuming an excess amount of sugar plays a big role in the development of tooth decay. Limit the amount of sugary snack, candy, and drinks your child consumes and encourage them to eat healthier foods.
- Regular Dental Visits: Schedule regular dental check-ups, starting from a young age. Dentists can catch cavities early and provide treatment before the issues gets worse. We also offer preventive treatments like fluoride application and dental sealants.
- Fluoride: It is important to use a small amount of fluoride toothpaste as recommended by their dentist. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and helps prevent cavities.
- Dental Sealants: Consider having dental sealants placed on your child’s teeth. They are protective plastic coatings that your dentist will apply to the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars. They help prevent food and bacteria from getting trapped in crevices which often leads to tooth decay.
- Hydration: Encourage water consumption throughout the day. Water helps rinse away food particles and maintains saliva production, which neutralizes acids.
- Model Proper Oral Hygiene Habits: Show your child what a proper oral hygiene routine looks like. This will set a positive example for them to follow.
Preventing childhood cavities is a joint effort between you, your child, and your dentist. When we start helping your child understand the importance of proper oral health at a young age, the more likely they are avoid tooth decay and cavities.
Pediatric Dentistry in Boise, ID
Our team of dentist and our dental care team offer experienced high-quality dental care. We offer a complete range of pediatric dentistry services to address various oral health concerns. We can create personalized solutions to address any of your child’s oral health needs.
- Teeth Cleanings
- Dental Fillings
- Dental bonding
- Diagnostic x-rays
- Dental Sealants
- Fluoride treatments
- Patient education services
We are a full-service dental facility in Boise, ID. Our dental office is equipped with advanced technology and state of the art materials to ensure our patients are receiving the quality dental care they deserve.
Schedule a Visit for Pediatric Dentistry in Boise, Id
Schedule a preventive care visit for the whole family. We offer a complete range of general dentistry services that can be tailored to meet each patients personal needs. To learn more about our services, visit our Boise dentist office. To schedule an appointment, call (208) 254-6365 or request an appointment online.