Why Are My Gums Bleeding After Brushing or Flossing?
There are a number of reasons that can cause your gums to bleed, and finding out the exact reason can go a long way for treating the issues. Don’t ignore your gums if they are bleeding as it may be a sign of a more serious issue.
Some factors that can cause your gums to bleed are such as brushing too hard, pregnancy or maybe an injury to your mouth or a teeth. Gum inflammation, swelling or tenderness can be a sign of gingivitis which is the beginning stages of gum disease.
What Is Gingivitis?
Gingivitis is a common form of gum disease that is typically not painful or even uncomfortable. Gingivitis is what causes irritation, redness and swelling (inflammation) of your gums. It’s important to take gingivitis seriously and treat it promptly. Gingivitis can lead to much more serious gum disease called periodontitis, gum recession, halitosis, and even tooth loss.
What Can I Do To Prevent Gingivitis?
- Practice Excellent Oral Hygiene
- Brush at least twice per day, and aim to brush after each meal. Eating after each meal is a great goal to strive for as it will prevent any food debris from settling inside your mouth.
- Floss after each meal as flossing will help remove any debris that you may have missed during brushing.
- Try using a mouthwash as this will wash away anything that you missed or loosened up during brushing and flossing.
- Refrain From Tobacco Products
- Using tobacco products is not only bad for your general health, but it is awful for your oral health. That goes for all tobacco products that include cigarettes and chew products. Also, tobacco makes it more difficult to treat gum disease if you have been diagnosed with gingivitis.
- Regular Visits With LIFESmiles
- Visiting Drs. Garpetti and Hyder recommend a visit to our Boise Dental Office at least once every six months. This will help us do a professional cleaning and help notify any potential issues and treat them before they become a serious issue.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are experiencing bleeding gums or any other sign of gum disease, be sure to schedule an appointment with LIFESmiles in Boise, ID. Our team can work with you to address your dental needs and restore your oral health. To schedule an appointment, call (208) 254-6365 or request an appointment online.