What Is A Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are a multiuse restoration that is commonly used to address a wide range of restorative and cosmetic dental concerns. Dental crowns can be fabricated using a wide range of material, but our Boise dental care team prefers using a durable, high-quality ceramic that can be color matched to blend with your natural smile.
What Can A Dental Crown Be Used To Treat?
Dental crowns can be used to address:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Damaged or fractured teeth
- Stabilize a tooth after a root canal
- Support a dental implant
- Misshapen teeth
- Discolored or stained teeth
What Are Some Reasons That A Dental Crown Would Be Required?
There are a variety of reasons for a crown, but these are the four most common scenarios:
- When a tooth has become irreparably decayed or infected, a dentist will typically recommend a root canal. Once the root canal is completed, a crown will be utilized to restore strength to the weakened tooth.
- If a tooth is damaged or discolored, its appearance can be enhanced with porcelain or ceramic crown. If a patient has an ugly filling, a crown can be used to cover it up, too.
- Cracked teeth often demand a crown since the structure of the tooth is at risk. Due to increased sensitivity, a cracked tooth can be very painful, so a crown offers relief, all while making the tooth much stronger.
- Think of a dental implant as a replacement for a tooth missing its roots. In this case, a crown can replace the missing tooth. Once the dental implant is placed into the jawbone, the crown covers the top of the implant, allowing the patient to chew normally.
What Are The Benefits Of Receiving a Dental Crown?
There are several benefits to getting a dental crown placed, including:
- A crown that fits correctly over your tooth can last for many years, even for decades.
- A dental crown covers the tooth over which it is placed (think of it as a cap for your tooth), so it protects the tooth against tooth decay.
- A crown can cover up a stained or unusually shaped tooth, adding to your self-confidence and giving you a nicer smile.
- A crown can keep a cracked tooth together and prevent or delay having to have a tooth extracted by LIFESmiles Family & Cosmetic Dentistry.
Schedule A Consultation
Are you searching for a dentist who offers dental crown services in Boise, ID? Drs. Garpetti and Hyder offer a full range of cosmetic dentistry services in our Boise dental office. To learn more about our dental crown solutions, call (208) 254-6365 or request an appointment online.